So, time for some warm fuzzies after that last post. I made some soup this week that was AMAZING! I was doubtful, having never cooked a barley soup before, but it was HEAVEN-if you like mushrooms. I did a combo of two recipes:
Very Easy Mushroom Barley Soup
and
Beaker's Vegetable Barley Soup
Here's what my recipe looked like-
Saute ingredients below in a soup pot over med heat until the onions start to look at little translucent.
2T olive oil
1/2 cup diced onions
1/4 cup and 2T diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
1 clove minced garlic
Add in 8oz sliced button or portabella mushrooms or a combination of the two and cook for 2-5 minutes.
Add in
3 cups of veggie broth
1/4 cup and 2T pearlized barley
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and start to season...
Approx 1/2 t vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
1/2 t sea salt
a sprinkle of pepper
a bay leaf
a sprinkle of garlic powder
1/2 t dried parsley
1/2 t curry powder
heavy shake of paprika
a sprinkle of thyme
Cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Enjoy with a nice loaf of crusty french bread or sourdough.
If I'd had any zucchini or diced tomatoes, I would've added them in as per the Beaker recipe. All in all, an awesome recipe, perfect to warm you up on one of these late winter days. One that I'm definitely adding to my usual line up.