Seriously?!

So, if anyone has been following the news as of late, not only are major protests heating up and going on in countries outside of the US, but here in our great state and across the nation as well. Just do a Google search for what happened in Wisconsin today, it's pretty much ridiculous.

I'm trying not to get too fired up about it all, but, well I'm frustrated. It feels as if the government is just pulling at straws to fill budget short falls and the brunt of their plan is being taken out on unions and union employees because everyone loves to hate on unions. I know unions aren't perfect, but they serve a purpose. And what is it with making cuts to education? Why is that such an easy target?

What about banks and wall street and their ridiculousness? What about the legislature that only works part time and gets paid a full time salary with full health care and benefits? What about these "corporations" that the courts have ruled to be considered "individuals" who can make contributions as large as they want to political campaigns, yet have off-shore tax shelters so they don't have to pay taxes on the profits they're making here in the US? Think about what those taxes would do to help balance the budget deficits. I'm looking at you Mr.President who swore that once he was elected would work to correct this, I'm still waiting so see that almost 3 years later.

I also know that I'm ranting by now, so if you want to check out some blogs and news stories that put it all much more eloquently, please check out the links below:

The AFL-CIO Blog

Why Merit Pay for Educators Doesn't Work

What Michigan's Senate Passed Today

US Uncut


And if you do nothing else, just educate yourself on issues besides the hot button, moral issues. I'll be the first to admit that I've been slacking off on paying attention to politics since President Obama took office, but this recent round of craziness just shows me that I need to be paying attention. All I know is that this year is heating up politics-wise and will have major implications at setting the stage for the 2012 elections...and who even knows what is going to get shoved through before then...

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I’m depressed.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home