A Comedy of Errors

So as everyone knows, my blogging...not so consistent. Perhaps it's because I don't have a clear direction of where I want this blog to go and generally depend on my random daily happenings to provide the entertainment. Sometimes those entertaining happenings are lacking...but, if I wait long enough...something inevitably happens. Case in point tonight...and why I'm typing one handed.

It all started innocently enough...chopping some potatoes for dinner...precooking 'em in the microwave. Then BAM! You know how you get that moment of clarity riiiiiiight before something happens, but by then it's too late? Ugh. You're literally staring an accident right in the face, the thought of "Crap, I shouldn't be doing that!" hits, and then it doesn't matter? So there I was, paring knife in one hand...holding the stack of veggie burgers that were stuck together in the other, I jammed the knife to wedge them apart, obviously thinking they wouldn't just pop apart with one jab. Wrong. The knife slid through like buttah. Like BUTTAH! Directly into my thumb. And as with a nice swift knife cut, no blood....at first. Then it started gushing.

I hightailed it to the bathroom, whipped out the hydrogen peroxide, and doused my thumb. Then grabbed a wad of oh so hygenic T.P. to apply pressure and try to stop the bleeding. One minute passed. I waited another to be safe. I peeked, it didn't look too horrible, I tried to squeeze it open a teensy bit to douse it again with peroxide...bad move. GUSH. I think the worst part about a cut is waiting it out for the bleeding to stop. Waiting. Waiting. Wondering where to head if it didn't stop bleeding, and god forbid, where do you even go to get stitches?! Ugh. Finally it seemed to subside, and I headed back to my cooking. I tossed the taters into the skillet with some oil and seasonings...and then, my wound reared it's ugly head at me for moving it around. Back to the bathroom for more peroxide and T.P.

While I was sitting there on the edge of the tub...a smell crossed my nose. Burning. Definitely burning. Crap. The taters...back to the kitchen to my scalded dinner. Sigh. Some days it's just one thing after then next. Thankfully, the bleeding stopped, but my left thumb? Definitely out of commission at the moment.

4 Comments:

  1. Jocelyn Edin said...
    Awe, sorry about your thumb. Those situations are no fun at all. I really stabbed myself good when I was 9 mos preggo with Gwen...with an exacto! My bleeding did not stop and I had to drive myself with my hand over my head to the urgent care, where I squirted blood all over the doctor trying to sew me up. Crazy!

    And where was your heroic husband while all of this was happening?
    Kerri said...
    Ohh, my stomach turned a little with that story. I hate nasty cuts. Here's to a speedy recovery. It's kind of hard to function without thumbs!
    Juli D said...
    Oh no! At least you still have all 10 fingers. :-)
    Keri said...
    I have a friend who cut herself the exact same way!! Weird.

    I'm obviously way behind on my blog reading, but I hope by now your thumb is feeling much, much better.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home